Life “Around the Bay” in Newfoundland has been busy!!! And I am LOVING it! This is my favorite time of year 🙂 The super long, dreary, dark days of winter are FINALLY over and the bright, sunny, warm days of spring are FINALLY here!
The grass is greener, my flowers are starting to grow, the birds are singing and we have our beautiful sunsets once again. I’m in my happy place! Days spend in my comfy pants, rubber boots and my flannel jacket, hair in a pony tail and loaded down with bug spray and sunscreen. YUP! Lovin’ it! 🙂
My greenhouse garden is coming along nicely! My oregano from last year survived the winter so I have an UBER healthy amount of oregano! Anybody need any oregano? Isn’t nature amazing! You plant a seed, water it, and in no time you have healthy, pesticide free food for your family!
My outside garden is surviving the frosty nights ~ my kale is loving the cold! In Newfoundland, the summers are so short and we get frost right up until the end of June so planting is limited to hardier plants, until after Father’s Day.
Also hoping for some nice juicy strawberries during the summer (just planted my first ever batch of strawberries) and since it’s rhubarb season, those sweet strawberries will go perfectly with my tart rhubarb. I pulled my first batch of rhubarb the other day. I have 10 cups in the freezer waiting for these strawberries to grow to make some jam. LOTS and LOTS of RHUBARB! See below for a delicious Rhubarb Cake.
No whales or icebergs spotted yet but I’ll keep you posted. But how about some seals ~ we’ve had a couple of nice, healthy seals on the beach in front of our house so you know I had to grab my camera and get some shots. He was having a great sleep so I managed to get some great close up shots before he realized he wasn’t alone anymore! Poor guy couldn’t get in the water fast enough:)
With my extra rhubarb, I made a delicious Fruit on the Bottom Rhubarb Cake. Super moist, lots of rhubarb surrounded by a light, fluffy, golden scratch cake ~ delicious even without ice cream (I didn’t have any so I saved myself some extra calories there ~ or maybe I just had an extra big piece of cake!)
Fruit on the Bottom Rhubarb Cake
3 TBSP butter, melted
2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
½ cup white sugar
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup butter, room temperature
¼ cup coconut oil, room temperature (if you don’t have coconut oil, just use another ¼ cup of butter)
2 eggs, large
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup milk (I used skim)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In 9 inch pan, add melted butter, rhubarb and sugar (you could add a couple drops of red food coloring if desired) Stir until ingredients are mixed together. Bake for 10 minutes. 3. Remove from oven and make cake batter.
4. In mixing bowl, add sugar and butter and coconut oil (if using). Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
5. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour to sugar mixture and slowly add in milk, mix until all ingredients are mixed well together.
6. Slowly pour cake batter over the cooked rhubarb mixture. Do not spread. As it cooks, it puffs up, covers the rhubarb filling and becomes light, fluffy, and golden. Cook for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before eating. Can be eaten warm with ice cream or whip cream or cool cut into squares. Delicious either way! Enjoy 🙂
Recipe slightly adapted from “The New Cream of the West Cookbook”
Loving this Life Living “Around the Bay” ~ DD